Internet Privacy Notice
This Internet Privacy Notice (“Notice”) is effective as of September 1, 2017. The previous version of the Notice is available here.
- Purpose of the Privacy Notice and Scope
- Your Consent and Choice
- The Personal Information We Collect
- How We Use the Personal Information We Collect
- How We Share the Personal Information We Collect
- Cookies/Advertising/Online Tracking
- Updating Your Personal Information
- Safeguarding Information
- Retention and Deletion of Personal Information
- Non-Unum Web Sites
- Privacy Notice Effective Date and Changes
- Governing Law
- Children’s Privacy
- How to Contact Us Regarding Privacy Questions
Purpose of the Privacy Notice and Scope
Unum Group, through its insuring subsidiaries, provides insurance products and services. This Notice only applies to personal information about consumers collected on our Web sites with a link to this Notice and does not apply to information collected by Unum Group or its subsidiaries through any other means. The term "consumer" means any individual, who seeks or acquires, by purchase or lease, any goods, services, money, or credit for personal family, or household purposes. This Notice describes Unum Group's practices regarding the collection, use, and sharing of the personal information provided to us by users of our Web sites maintained for operations in the United States (U.S.).
This Notice also applies to personal information we collect:
- In email and other electronic messages between you and this Web site;
- Through mobile and desktop applications you download from this Web site, which provide dedicated non-browser based interaction between you and this Web site; and
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party Web sites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this Notice.
This Notice does not apply to personal information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means, including any other Web site operated by Unum Group or any third party that does not link to this Notice; or
- Any third party, including through any application or content that may link to or be accessible from this Webs site.
In this Notice, "you", "your", "yours", and their derivations are used to refer to you, the Web site user or visitor. "We", "us", and "our", and their derivations, and "Unum", are used to refer to Unum Group and its subsidiaries.
Your Consent and Choice
By providing personal information to us through this Web site, you are consenting to the collection, use, and sharing of your personal information in accordance with this Notice. If you do not agree with the practices described in this Notice, please do not continue to use the Web site or to provide personal information through this Web site.
This Web site is intended to be used in the U.S. If you access this Web site while outside the U.S., your information will be transferred to the U.S., and processed and stored under U.S. privacy standards. By accessing the Web site and providing information to us, you consent to such transfer to, and processing in, the U.S.
The Personal Information We Collect
When you visit or use our Web site or online services, we may collect personal information from or about you, such as your name, physical address, Social Security number, e-mail address, telephone number, or other personal information that you provide us.
How We Use the Personal Information We Collect
We may use the personal information collected on our Web site as follows:
- Fulfilling your transaction or service request. If you request something from us, such as information or a service related to your insurance or benefits, we will use the personal information you provide to verify your identity and fulfill your request.
- Processing your application for employment. If you apply for employment with us, we may use the personal information you provide to evaluate and process your application.
- Conducting our business. We may use personal information for data analysis; audits; product enrollments; servicing insurance policies; administering claims; developing new products; enhancing, improving, or modifying our services; identifying usage trends; determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns; and operating and expanding our business activities.
How We Share the Personal Information We Collect
We may share the personal information collected through our Web site as follows:
- Working with service providers. We may employ third party companies and individuals to help us improve our services and to support our Web site, including site maintenance, analysis, audit, and development; to assist with policy and claims administration; and to assist with processing employment applications. These third parties have limited access to your personal information only to perform work on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose it or use it for other purposes.
- Compliance with legal process and other disclosures. We may, where permitted or required by law, disclose personal information to third parties without your consent to comply with court orders, subpoenas, or other legal or regulatory requirements, or to exercise our legal rights to defend against legal claims.
- In the event of a merger, acquisition, reorganization, bankruptcy or similar event, personal information collected through our Web site may be transferred to or assigned to another entity, if permitted by and done in accordance with applicable law, without your consent.
We also may collect information from visitors who request information or download content from our Web site. If you request information or download content from our Web site, Unum and third parties with whom we contract may collect information regarding your interactions with the information or content ("material"), including when you opened the email or material, how long you viewed the email or material, what you click on, and whether you opened any links in the email or material. If you provide an email address to us, we and third parties with whom we contract, such as insurance brokers or agents, may use it to contact you regarding the material or other information we think may be of interest to you.
We do not serve advertising on our Web site. However, we may engage online advertising service providers to show our ads to you after you leave our site and view other Web sites or when you search on the Web using terms related to our products. We do not use consumers' personal information for advertising. We do not share consumers' personal information with unaffiliated third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
Currently, we do not respond to "Do Not Track Signals" from browsers.
Updating Your Personal Information
In certain cases, you may have the ability to view or edit your personal information online. In the event personal information you provided through our Web site is no longer accessible online and you wish to obtain a copy of it or if you become aware the information is incorrect and you would like us to correct it, please contact us for assistance at email@example.com.
We have reasonable physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to help us protect the confidentiality and security of the personal information that we process and maintain through this Web site. However, no method of transmitting or storing information via the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, although we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of personal information transmitted through or in connection with our Web site and therefore the use of this Web site is at your own risk.
The security of your information also depends on you. If you have a password for access to certain parts of this Web site, you are responsible for keeping that password confidential. We ask that you not share your password with anyone. If you believe that the security of your password has been compromised or that, for some other reason, your online interaction with us via this Web site is no longer secure, please noticy us of the problem immediately by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Retention and Deletion of Personal Information
We will retain your personal information provided through this Web site for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which is was collected, or as needed to comply with our legal obligations or to enforce our agreements. If you want to request a deletion of your personal information, please email your request to email@example.com. Note that we need to retain certain records for legal or internal business reasons. Some of your information may remain on backup systems, in compliance with the law.
Non-Unum Web sites
From time to time, our Web site may provide links to other Web sites, not owned or controlled by Unum, that we think might be of interest to our site visitors. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of any third party Web sites on the Internet that may be linked to our Web site. We encourage you to read the privacy statements or these linked sites, as their privacy practices may differ from ours.
Privacy Notice Effective Date and Changes
This Notice is effective as of the date stated above. We may amend the Notice from time to time. We will not make material changes to our Web site privacy practices regarding our use or sharing of personal information without providing notice through this site or through other ways to bring the changes to your attention.
This Notice is governed by the laws of the State of Tennessee, without giving effect to principles of conflict laws.
Our Web site and the services we provide are not directed toward children under the age of 18 and we do not knowingly solicit personal information from children in connection with our Web site. If a parent or guardian becomes awasre that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will delete the information from our files within a reasonable time.
For questions regarding this Notice, or for inquires regarding the personal information collected from you that is covered by this Notice, or for inquiries regarding the personal information collected from you that is covered by this Notice, please contact our Chief Privacy Officer at the following address:
Attn: Chief Privacy Officer/Privacy Office
2211 Congress Street, C476
Portland, Maine 04122